Engineer visits – Checklist
Contacting the customer/booking the appointment
Is the customer happy for a staff member to enter their property (explaining the precautions we will take) or would they prefer to wait until lockdown measures have been relaxed/lifted. If this is the case re-book for a follow up call in 2-3 weeks.
Now ask the following questions. If the answer to any of the following 4 questions is Yes, do not proceed with an appointment. Advise that you will contact the customer again within 2-3 weeks.
- Is the customer currently self-isolating?
- Is the customer or anyone within the customers home currently shielding due to being in the vulnerable category?
- Has the customer been in close proximity to anyone who has since been diagnosed with covid-19 in the last 14 days.
- Is the customer or any members of the customers household exhibiting any of the following symptoms?
A high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
A new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
These questions should be asked at the time of booking the appointment and again 45-60 minutes prior to the appointment to ensure that nothing has changed. Also reassure the customer on the day of the appointment that you are fit and well.
The location of the water softener
Now clarify the following:-
- Is the water softener located outside the customer’s house, therefore removing the need to enter the house or have any face to face contact with the customer? If yes proceed to book the appointment.
- If the water softener is located within the house, is it always possible for the engineer to maintain a minimum of 2 metres distance from anyone else within the house.
- Does the customer agree to maintain a minimum 2 metre distance from our engineer at all times during the visit, ideally they will remain in a separate room.
- If the customer has children or pets in the house, do they always agree to keep these in another room and separate from our engineer for the full duration of the visit?
- Is the room in which the engineer will be working, well ventilated and does the customer agree to have windows open during the visit?
If the customer answers No to any of the questions numbered 6-9 do not proceed with an appointment and advise that we will contact them again in 2-3 weeks.
On Arrival at the customers property
- Knock on the door/ring the doorbell and step back to a minimum of 2 metres away from the door to maintain social distancing guidelines.
- Do not shake hands with the customer when they answer the door.
- Before entering the property remind the customer of the following:-
- We operate the 2 metre distancing rule at all times
- We will wear a mask and gloves during the visit for both our protection and the customers safety.
- Allow the customer to lead the way and remain a minimum of 2 metres behind.
Inside the Property (assess and set up your work area)
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds using hand wash and water and dry using the towel provided to you.
- Advise the customer of the space you require to remain clear while you are working.
- Open a window or door to allow fresh air to circulate.
- If you need to cough or sneeze do this into a tissue or into your elbow. DO NOT do this into your hands or the open air.
- Put any used tissues into a separate bag and do not leave at the property.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
- If anyone appears unwell or is not sticking to the guidelines as agreed, advise the customer that you do not feel comfortable to continue and exit the property. Advise that the work will be re-booked at a later date.
- Clean and wipe down all tools/surfaces used with antibacterial spray before you exit the property.
- Do not leave any waste at the property – take this with you.
- At the end of the work, wash your hands with hand wash and water for 20 seconds and use the towel provided.
- Job sheet to be sent in post or via email.
Engineer should have the following safety equipment available for every appointment
- Face Mask
- Protective Gloves
- Clean towel
- Sanitising spray
- Blue wiper roll